WHAT IS NSBE?
The UMBC Chapter of NSBE (National Society of Black Engineers) aims "to increase the number of culturally responsible Black engineers who excel academically, succeed professionally, and positively impact the community." Throughout the year, we engage black engineering students at UMBC through programs and activities that:
- Strive to increase the number of minority students studying engineering at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Promote public awareness of engineering and the opportunities for Blacks and other minorities in that profession.
These activities include our we held our Terror Zone Summit in program that provides educational sessions for collegiate, high school and grade age students and building on our Pre-College Initiative Program (PCI), a mentorship program that emphasizes the importance of a college education and helps to expose minority youth to career opportunities in science, math, and engineering.
We were even fortunate enough to receive two awards for our programs and activities:
- Winner of the Regional Chapter of the Year Award in March at the NSBE 45th Annual Convention
- Winner of the Collegiate Chapter Excellence Award in June at the Baltimore Metropolitan Area Chapter (BMAC) Gala
why we need YOUR help?
Each year, the UMBC Chapter of NSBE sends students to go to the national NSBE convention to be exposed to job opportunities, networking events, and career development workshops. However, the registration costs and travel expenses are overwhelming for the average college student.
The UMBC Chapter of NSBE attempts to lessen the expenses of this convention by gaining sponsorships and receiving donations throughout the year. We need to raise $5,500 to help offset the total costs of sending a record 30 UMBC students to San Antonio, Texas for the 2020 NSBE National Convention in March.
how your gift will make a difference
- Conference Registration Cost: $200 per student = $6,000
- Estimated Travel (flights): $450 per student = $13,500
- Estimated Lodging : $160/night for 15 rooms = $9,600
- Food Stipend: $40/day for 30 Students = $1,200
- Estimated Total Costs = $30,300
stay up-to-date on umbc nsbe
Our chapter is always posting updates on Instagram about upcoming events and student highlights. Follow us on Instagram to stay updated!
You can also visit our website for more information about the UMBC Chapter of NSBE!
Help us share!
Please share our cause to make the national convention accessible to our NSBE students. You can share our goals via social media (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, etc.), phone calls, emails, and any mode of communication.
As a quickly growing and flourishing chapter, we are actively seeking sponsors and partners in order to aid our chapter in its continuous growth and development. Our sponsors and partners play an instrumental role in the success of our chapter and the overwhelming success of our members!
If you prefer to mail in your contribution, please address the check to UMBC Foundation, write NSBE in the memo line, and mail it to: UMBC Foundation, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore MD 21250
Thank you, in advance, for your generosity!
All funds raised are administered by the UMBC Foundation for the benefit of UMBC.